Scrappy Raven's Nest

Quilting, sewing, knitting, fighting depression, and doing as little housework as possible.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

New Old Stuff


These baskets were my great grandmother's. They are from western Canada and might have been made by Native artists. I love this kind of folk art which is really so highly sophisticated and honest. The top one is hand painted and served as my grandmother's sewing basket. Inside the big one I found this sweater almost complete made by my mother. Coincidentally it is the same color as the sweater I started while she was dying. It is also a cardigan and someday I will finish knitting the last piece and sew it together.
It is interesting how we decide what pieces of the past we allow into our present lives. Maybe I will never finish the sweater. Perhaps it would be better to rip it and knit something new with the old yarn. If there is one thing I've learned it's to acknowledge the past but to move on with today and the future.

1 comment:

  1. How lovely! Those are some wonderful treasures you have. I think you're right about the "honesty" of the artwork. There's so much intention in each paint stroke and weave. I think it's too bad that so many people create with such external values in mind.

    It must be hard to approach an unfinished sweater from your grandmother. I would be afraid to touch it. Good for you! Honor the past, and embrace the future!

    Cheers!
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete